On July 11th, I quit my job at the University of Utah. After a year of being treated more poorly by my manager than I have ever been treated, having no compromise for difficult work conditions, and always receiving the blame/negative feedback, I decided I had enough. The tension had been building for the last 6 months, and becoming almost unbearable the last couple months. On July 1st, after an incidence that I decided was the last straw, I walked into my manager's office, told her kindly that I could not continue to be an effective employee under the current circumstances, and gave a courtesy two weeks notice. She said, "ok" and that was it.
For the next two weeks, she didn't bother to talk to me, ask me for help training the new person, or anything else. It felt like I was dealing with a teenager throwing a tantrum. I did not meet my replacement, nor did I have the opportunity to help train her in a program my manager knew nothing about.
On July 11th, I received an email saying that my email would be 'turned off' as of 5 PM that day and if I needed anything else that day to let her know. That's it. No goodbye. No thank you. No good luck. Nothing.
I've never been bullied in my life, but this job was my first exposure to what it feels like to be bullied. My manager was very passive aggressive, never took responsibility for any wrongdoing, but rather placing blame on others (including myself), and held others to different standards than herself.
My co-worker quit a couple weeks prior primarily for grad school, but would not have stayed regardless of her acceptance into grad school as the working conditions were non-sustainable.
On July 11th (my last day), I had a job interview with a new company that lasted 2 hours. They told me they would get back to me in a couple weeks with a decision. When I decided to quit, I did not know what I was going to do. But I felt strongly it was time to quit.
I spent the last hour of my day in an exit interview with HR to share my opinions about the business practices of my manager, and upon leaving, I had a job offer from the interview I had just a couple hours earlier.
Sometimes it's scary to take a step into the darkness, and I definitely did not listen the first time (I had the first prompting to quit a couple weeks earlier than I actually quit), but I know the Lord has a plan for us and sometimes it takes that leap of faith.
Luckily, I had a few weeks break to enjoy a little time to myself. It has been lovely, and although I am looking forward to starting my new job on Monday, I didn't realize how great I would be at being a housewife! It was lovely sitting by the pool, hiking, going on a little getaway, and so much more during my nice, short break.
No comments:
Post a Comment