ABOUT US

After two and a half years of dating and a five week engagement, Nick and I took the plunge and were married on July 29th, 2011 in the Salt Lake Temple. We are a tennis playing, bike riding, running, wannabe swimming, cooking, treat eating, adventure seeking family. So sit back and enjoy 'The Dall Family Life'.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Piano

You may or may not know: I kind of have a cool 'piano story'. 
I was not forced to play the piano as a child like most of my friends. It was something I just wanted to do. 
I started with the tiniest keyboard you've ever seen. Probably as long as my arm. 
I, like most kids, struggled at first and was off and on with my piano practicing/lessons. 
Then I started to get the hang of it and loved it. So, I got a bigger keyboard. 
Well, I started to get to where I could play music that was way out the range my keyboard could go. 
I would practice at home on my keyboard and then go to piano lessons with a real piano and try to figure out how to use the pedal with it. 
After a while, the keyboard just wasn't cutting it. We looked and looked and my parents bought me an OLD (I believe $200) piano. I remember the day we got it - it was a very happy moment for me. It probably weighs at least 2000 pounds or so haha - and my dad had quite the time getting it downstairs to my room. It was SO out of tune it took many tuning sessions over the years to get it back into some sort of tune. 
I played that piano for hours at a time. I started to get pretty good. I even had a couple recitals. 
I had a very neat piano teacher (if any of you from Murray know the Harrington's - it was Mike). He was very kind as my parents could not afford to keep up piano lessons. He found out I was paying for the lessons myself and gave me many free lessons. I am today so very grateful for him.

Well, life got busy and the piano started to take a back seat. School and work took over my life. My piano collected dust. Then I married Nick and there was no way I could take my piano with me. 
I have missed that piano so much and spent a few nights at the church trying to get back what I had lost. I missed my music practice and felt like it was time dedicated to taking care of myself, to doing something that I really wanted to do. 
So, Nick surprised me with this keyboard for Christmas this year. It was a very difficult keyboard for him to track down (according to him). He did a lot of research on keyboards and apparently KORG is like the cadillac of keyboards. 
I was so excited!!!
So now all I need is a stand, a seat, and a pedal to be able to play it. (If any of you know it is almost impossible to play a keyboard without a pedal - it's like missing notes at a time). 
As I work toward getting the tools to make this a more functioning keyboard, I look forward to finally getting back to doing something that I really love. 
It's time to start doing some things for myself and I intend to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment